Wednesday, September 7, 2016

Free Autumn (Fall) Horror Movies


In New England, we call it fall!!!  Why don't all of us call it fall?  We rarely ever use the word Autumn unless we are referring to a person or are trying to be poetic, as in "Autumn leaves".   So, I've entitled this post, "Free Autumn (Fall) Horror Movies", so that everyone can find it on the inter-webs!

Happy Birthday to Lucas Marlone in late October, myself in late November, and Happy Birthday to my friend across the water, M, and I have another friend who is my birthday twin.  I'm not sure who's the evil one, though.  It's probably me!


In addition, October 31 is the anniversary of my first menstrual period.  Aren't you guys all delighted to know that I became menstruating and essentially became a woman at the age of 11 on Halloween.  It didn't mess with my program, though.  I snagged a pad from my friend, who was 3 years older and had already had her "little friend" for a while now.  Thanks Cherie, LOL!


I'll be posting The Legend of Sleepy Hollow as a Halloween film, because I was watching it in 5th grade with Mackie and my other classmates.  I just remember Mackie, because she was the first one I told prior to telling Cherie.  I went to the bathroom and low and behold, I was a big girl now!  So, The Legend of Sleepy Hollow and Halloween remind me of my menarche.  I don't know where "L" was that day or my very best friend Sara.  Wait, Sara was in the other 5th grade class that year.  Maybe "L" was, too.


This was the first year I got to bring my little brother, Joe, trick or treating, who just passed last December, which has been weighing on my mind today, yuck.  I hate those days.  He was a little vampire that year.  We were vampires quite a few years.  We used to love to strut around in vampire teeth.

In fact, my Dad told us that someday he'd let us in on the "Family Secret".  That, of course, was followed by resistance from my Dad, who'd tell us, "You'll find out soon enough.".  Apparently, when you turn twelve in my family, you become a vampire like the rest of them.  I'm still waiting, Dad!!!


Tis the season for my birthday, and the birthdays of a few of my cohorts.  My most notable cohorts, who's names begin with the letter "C" and "J"...there birthdays have already past, in the summer and spring, respectively.  And, many of my other friends have birthdays near Christmas and New Year's, so not happy birthday to you guys yet!

Number one has nothing to do with fall, but it's Clive Barker, and I just discovered a movie was made out of this and haven't even watched it myself, so this is for you, people who bother to read my blog, so thanks!  It's still spooky and deals with a haunted house!  Furthermore, even though it has nothing to do with menstrual-flow, it's Clive Barker's Book of Blood biznatch!


1.  Clive Barker's Book of Blood (2008) -  The assistance of  2 supernatural experts are requested to investigate odd events at a family's dwelling. A young medium, who can speak with the spirit world joins them. Subsequent to spending the night in the unsettling domicile, the team of investigators discovers foreign writing on the home's walls. Simon, the medium, wakes to mysterious scars that cover his body. The nightmare begins when they discover that this home is a portal between this life and the great beyond.


2.    Murder Party (2007) - An unexpected invitation to a Halloween party delivers a man into a death trap among random participant, who intend to murder him for the sake of art.  This included some horror comedy, so it's not as grim as it seems!


3.  Satan's Little Helper (2004) - This flick is so cute!  You guys all know what it's about, a crazy murderer, who may or not be Satan, who befriends a little boy on Halloween to help him carry out grizzly deeds unbeknownst to the little guy, who kinda looks like a Baby McLovin'.


4.  The Legend of Sleepy Hollow (1999) - Do I need to explain this classic Washington Irving tale?  It was, of course, adapted into quite a few films and even a TV show, which is based on the tale.  This is the 1999 version.  I can't remember which version we watch at school, but it was really old, and very school appropriate, since it was the 80's and I was in the 5th grade.

The one I've posted isn't the Tim Burton version, which is pretty different from the other versions, where Ichabod Crane is a teacher, and usually not an "outsider".

The original tale, "The Legend of Sleepy Hollow", was a short story that was contained in his anthology of of 34 essays and short stories, "The Sketch Book of Geoffrey Crayon, Gent.", which he wrote while he resided in England.  The story was initially published in 1820.  Ever since, it's been a Halloween favorite.


5.  The Fall of the House of Usher (1928) - The House of Usher is a spooky, lonely mansion with a swamp surrounding it.  The Usher Family, who owns the house believes their bloodline is cursed, as they have all been driven crazy by this curse.  He discourages his sister's fiancee from marrying the girl to prevent him and any of his descendants created from this union from falling victim to the curse.  The plot thickens, of course.

So, this spooky Edgar Allan Poe adaptation classic has to fit into the list somewhere, since it's the ultimate fall haunted house flick.  This film happened before the 1960 Roger Corman classic, starring Vincent Price, of the same title and subject matter.  In essence, the 1960 version is a remake of this early 20's horror genre classic.

Ok, so prior to the Autumn (Fall) Season, let's thank Frightpix, Popcornflix, B&W Movies, and those who have been oppressed and brutally slaughtered.  Hail thee!  There, we've already given thanks!